On October 15, 2012, the NCAA announced it was relocating several championships from New Jersey due to a new state law which would allow sports wagering on professional and collegiate games.
The 2013 championship events include the following:
- Division I Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships, Diving Regionals (Piscataway, March 14-17);
- Division I Women’s Basketball Championship, Trenton Regional (Trenton, March 30-April 2);
- Division III Men’s Volleyball Championship (Hoboken, April 26-28);
- Division II Women’s Lacrosse Championships (Montclair, May 18-19); and
- Division III Women’s Lacrosse Championships (Montclair, May 18-19).
The reason for the relocation is the NCAA’s policy which strictly prohibits conducting a NCAA championship session in a state with legal wagering that is based on single-game betting. According to the NCAA, the policy is designed to ensure the integrity of the game, provide consistency in awarding championships and to address concerns for student-athletes’ well-being. Additionally, a suit by the NCAA, NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA filed to prevent the state from allowing sports wagering is ongoing.
The full article can be found here.